Sometimes I want to do something easy and not make absolutely everything from scratch. I’m a laxy human, what can I say!
When I was a kid I was lucky enough to visit the Cayman Islands with my parents a few times. While we were there, we all fell in love with the Tortuga Rum Cakes rich with delicious Tortuga island rum. You can find them in stores like TJ Maxx and Home Goods here in the US at Christmastime and they always find a way into our stockings each year.
This year I decided to turn my rum cake into something special and threw together this trifle. I didn’t follow an exact recipe but I will cobble one together for you below.
- 1 small Golden Tortuga Rum Cake
- 1 6oz package of Raspberries
- 1/3cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
- Place raspberries in a small bowl and pour in the granulated sugar. Stir, breaking up the raspberries just slightly to speed up the process. Let sit on the counter for about 1 hour to macerate
- Chop up rum cake into small cubs and set aside
- In a mixer, combine the whipping cream and the confectioner’s sugar and whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form
- Once all ingredients are prepared, layer in a tall glass or in two small glasses. Start with a layer of rum cake, followed by a layer of whipped cream and then a layer of the raspberries. Repeat until glass is full. Garnish with Pineapple leaves for a tropical kick!